Blog has moved
I have moved my blog from blogger over to http://KenCochrane.net.
Daily Journal For Ken Cochrane
Installing Mercurial 1.5.1 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (RHEL5) using Python 2.5
python2.5 setup.py build
Couldn't import standard bz2 (incomplete Python install).
make: *** [build] Error 1
I have finished with my latest iPhone application and I have submitted it to Apple. I submitted it on Sunday 01/17/2010, and hopefully it will be approved by the end of the month. Normally it takes about 10-14 days for apple to approve apps but there have been recent reports that apps have been approved in as little as 2-3 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed and post when I hear back.
Recently I decided it was time to upgrade my aging 36" CRT television with a new HDTV. After doing a lot of research I narrowed down my requirements to the following:
I was setting up Django-Notification for a project, and I was trying to create notice types like it mentions on their wiki . Their wiki says that you should add the following code to your management.py file in your app.
After trying lots of different things (dropping database and re syncing,etc) the management file wasn't getting picked up and it was quite annoying.from django.conf import settings
from django.db.models import signals
from django.utils.translation import ugettext_noop as _
if "notification" in settings.INSTALLED_APPS:
from notification import models as notification
def create_notice_types(app, created_models, verbosity, **kwargs):
notification.create_notice_type("friends_invite", _("Invitation Received"), _("you have received an invitation"))
notification.create_notice_type("friends_accept", _("Acceptance Received"), _("an invitation you sent has been accepted"))
print "Skipping creation of NoticeTypes as notification app not found"
I recently worked on a project to quickly create a simple cgi-bin script to capture some data from a form on a mostly static website. The script was simple, take the data from the form, and send it via email. The script was written by a co-worker of mine using python. When we went to deploy the script on the server with Plesk 8.6, it was nothing but a pain in the butt.. I have documented some of the things we did below in order to get it working.
SSH in and type the following: "chown root:apache /usr/sbin/suexec"
/var/log/httpd, should be drwx------ root rootThere are probably more things that we ended up trying that I didn't document here, so feel free to post how you fixed your issue, so that others can benefit.
/var/log/httpd/suexec_log, should be -rw-r--r-- root root
/home/httpd/vhosts/your-domain-name.com/statistics, should be dr-xr-x--- root psaserv
/home/httpd/vhosts/your-domain-name.com/cgi-bin should be, drwxr-x--x ftpuser psaserv
As most of you know but just in case scripts in the cgi-bin directory need to be -rwxr-xr-x ftpuser psacln
Replace "ftpuser" with the ftp user name for that domain
And don't forget to restart Apache after making these changes.